Monday, November 5, 2012

Sunny Saturday


It's been a good day!
This is my 5th top now with no completed ones. >.<

In the morning I finished my latest quilt top and rolled around in my ever-increasing supply of pretty fabric.

Then I got a call from Nody. We're having a lasagna night this Monday with a couple other teachers from school, so went on a mission to find the ingredients. YouMe Town, our fancy new mall, has a foreign import store with plenty of cheese varieties. That's where we started, gawking at the high prices while enjoying our free coffee, mango, and nut samples. Rather than buying huge amounts of the spendy Ricotta and Cottage cheese, we determined to make it ourselves!

But to make cheese you need a cheesecloth. Which happens to be headachingly difficult to find in Japan (just pretend YouMe Town represents all of Japan). After searching the grocery and home goods store with no luck, finally settled on 100yen gauze from the drugstore!

We had some Napolitan spaghetti for a late lunch. I made her do the unthinkable in eating unpeeled persimmons. Gasp! Although she claimed that her teeth are hard enough to knaw on walls, she still complained about the hard peel the whole time.

Then came the cheesemaking.
Can you guess which kind this'll be?



I never knew milk could smell so delicious.
We used a mixture of English and Japanese recipes, then let them sit in their warm, whey-y goodness for a couple hours while we went out on a walk!
Look, the sun is setting! 
The toilet paper is always nicely folded after she leaves.
(it took me about 5 minutes to recreate this scene on my own)


Post Script!
Everything turned out great. I may not be making it again anytime soon, but at least I know I can. : )



Tada!

2 comments:

  1. How fun. It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want in on this cheese making business, but not now. Maybe in a few years? I wouldn't be able to keep up with Westley's cottage cheese consumption.

    ReplyDelete